Monday, September 9, 2013

My Indigenous Ancestor

My name is Ganay, I am 14 years old. I was born in Australia. I got my name from my ancestor, Yagan. I am the 36th generation of Yagan.

I guess that's all about me, now about my ancestor.

Yagan's clan is Myungar. His area of land was in South West of Western Australia. I don't know about his language group. He was courageous and managed to avoid capture for 12 months. He had an attitude to the europeans, which are fearless and irritating. And the europeans had attitudes to him too, which are feared and admired at the same time.

In the 1831 a Myungar was shot by a settler only because of accusation of theft. My ancestor, Yagan, got mad and sought revenge. He was murdered in july 1833 by William Keats, Yagan was shot when he turned his back.

One of his quote: "We aren't forgiving the outlaw, but, we maintain it is revolting to hear this praised as a good deed".

That's all I know about my ancestor, Yagan, see you later. Peace!!

1 comment: